One of our daughters, it appears, wears her heart on her sleeve. I've heard that this can be a helpful personality trait when trying to understand the disposition of a heart.
"I don't like you," says 3-year old Élise.
Hum.
My kids pretend a lot, but that seems a bit harsh.
We certainly don't allow the children to speak so disrespectfully to us, but I wonder if there is some truth to this bit of "pretend." It hurts to think that she may have some actual meaning behind her words.
"Élise, you should not say such unkind words to anyone. Do you remember that the Bible says we are to love our neighbor as ourselves? Do you think that I am your neighbor?"
I see a glimmer of understanding in her eyes, as she grasps the gravity of what her thoughtless words meant.
"It hurt me to hear you say such a thing to me. You do love your mother, don't you?"
"Yes."
We go on. I know to take things a bit lightly in the world of pretend that my little girls live in. But, I still hope that my sins against her haven't caused her to have any sort of separation from, or dislike of me, her own mother.
A couple of minutes later as I put on her shoes and socks, I silently pray for her. I ask the Lord to cause her heart to be soft so that she might be convicted of her own sin.
"I'm sorry I was bad, Mommy," she bravely says as she looks me straight in the eye.
"Oh, it's OK sweetie. You are a sinner just like me, and I forgive you just like Jesus forgives me."
I'm thankful that the Lord works through prayer, and that he gives us illustrations of his grace toward us. I pray that our children will grasp the deeper meaning of these instances in life, that their hearts may be tender to receive HIS forgiveness, as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bless you for being such a good and thoughtful Mommy!
ReplyDelete