Some days are just so perfectly prearranged that one is reminded that
God is in control. Joy and I have long dreamed of seeing a California
Condor in the wild. As fellow birders, (she the one that introduced
Skye and I to the "sport"), claiming a C. Condor on our life list would
be a prize.
The night before our planned outing to hopefully see condors sunning
themselves and then rising on the warm morning thermals, I was so
confused about the time. We were in Arizona, which did not observe
Daylight Standard Time, but yet my clock was set to "Daylight." My
compadres didn't wish to follow Arizona time, so I could not ascertain
when it was we planned to depart.
At 5:30 (of whatever time my clock was set to) I awoke from a nightmare
that the group had left me and I'd missed the chance to see condors.
Then I heard a thrush making his morning call. He drew me out of bed,
one hour earlier than my planned get up time. I found the thrush, which
turned out to be a Hermit Thrush (a new bird for me). A good start to a
birding day.
Joy and Dave looked ready to go when I walked back. We were all set to
leave camp in search of condors one hour earlier than expected. Had I
slept to my planned alarm, I would have missed what was to follow. It
turns out that had we driven to Vermillion Cliffs any later, we would
have missed the condors all together. God had been gracious to provide
me with a bit of confusion, a nightmare, and a Hermit Thrush "alarm" to
help us make this deadline.
Just as we drove a long dirt path on the southwest side of the
Vermillion Cliffs, Dave spotted condors lifting off! About 8 of the
huge birds rose into the thermals - distinctly different from Turkey
Vultures and so awe-inspiring. We watched them for nearly 30 minutes
before all were lost from view.
Our kids were sad to have missed this treat. We prayed they might have
the chance. As a sweet reminder of his presence and provision, we ALL
spotted a beautiful California Condor flying near Lake Powell, Utah, a
couple of days later. How many small children can claim such a memory?
Our God is amazing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment