Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sunlight- thoughts on another benefit

I was just listening to an advertisement (for a Purity Products Vitamin D supplement) on the radio that got me thinking. Vitamin D is a unique substance because our bodies use sunlight to synthesize it for use in our body's cells. Apparently, our bodies produce around 20,000 IU's of Vitamin D in 20 minutes of exposure to direct sunlight. Persons that work in the sun, such as roofers and lifeguards, have high levels of Vitamin D. Most of the rest of us apparently, are running a bit low.

There is debate about how many IU's of Vitamin D we need daily for optimal function. Of course, the advertisement I was listening to was trying to sell a supplement, so I have to take their recommendations with a "grain of salt." It seems that levels that are greater than around 50,000 IU's per day offer the best health benefits, including improved blood pressure, less "ache and pain," and most notably to me, a "sense of well-being."

The advertisement offered statistics on "sense of well-being": those closer to the equator have better moods than those closer to the poles. How many times have we heard of problems with lack of light causing things like seasonal affective disorder? I've heard statistics that suicide rates are highest in places like Seattle and Dublin, and those places are certainly low on the sun-continuum. And when I think of folks in tropical places, I usually envision great big smiles on their faces. It seems actual sunlight is one key to happiness and health.

The creativity of God in designing us to need physical light, by which we can receive physical joy and health, makes me think of deeper meanings God has for us when we consider LIGHT. As we NEED physical light to be healthy and have well-being, we NEED Christ to have fullness of joy and life (here and eternally) to the fullest.


"...the people living in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned." Matthew 4:16

Christ is the light, and there are benefits of walking in the light:


But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 1 John 1:7

Live as children of light (for the fruit of light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord. Ephesians 5:9-10

I'm sure there are many a sermon preaching on "the light," but it is beyond my intention to write one! But I just love to look at how God so often gives us tangible references to Him in our everyday world. We need the Word to understand them, but creation cries out and points clearly to Him, if we would have eyes to see and ears to hear.


The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. Psalm 19: 1-3
And:

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature- have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. Romans 1:20


May I seek His face as my source of joy, and not forget to get some sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment