I am going to restate in a different way what I wrote about in "A practical example of how God untangles my sin." This is just a continuation of what God is teaching me through the illustration of "The Rainbow" (August post).
I believe there is truth to the statement that "we do what we believe." Our actions are indicators of what we think will bring us the greatest happiness or what we think beneficial for others.
I am so thankful to God for reminding me that He is slow to anger and abounding in love. He does not treat me as my sins deserve, because my punishment has fully fallen upon His Son. He has showed me that anger toward my children is not beneficial to them. It sounds obvious... that expressed anger is not good. But do you know I actually believed on some level that anger was a necessary component of my discipline toward my children. I'm not talking about violent levels of anger- I'm just talking about a raised voice with a cutting-edge to it, or a glaring look of the eye. I thought "how else will they really know that what they have done is unacceptable?" When I did try to control my anger toward my children, it was difficult to not get upset... in my flesh I was unable. I knew on some level that I needed, at least, restrained anger, but I couldn't help but continue to feel angry. I was still BELIEVING that some degree of anger was necessary for the good of my children. I didn't really realize I believed this, but after what God has taught me through "The Rainbow," I see I believe differently.
Now, believing that God fully punished Christ for my sin, removing His anger from me, I am empowered to treat my children with long-suffering and compassion when they sin. The point here is that I now BELIEVE my anger is harmful and I grasp this aspect of the Gospel more fully. Now I BELIEVE that patience with my children causes them to seek my face and ultimately seek Him. And since I BELIEVE it, it is actually easier to DO it. I don't find myself feeling out-of-control when my kids disobey. I remember God's teaching and find myself responding with compassion and patience. My little one's will look in my eyes now!
In our Bible study this morning we discussed how every sin we commit because we fail to believe the Gospel at some point. EVERY sin. I pray I would understand the facets of the Gospel more deeply, and that God will continue to strip the power of my every sin.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment