Friday, October 9, 2009

Accepting my less-than-perfect place

You would think the only thing I am learning right now is how to deal with anger! Not so, but perhaps it is an easy and relevant subject for me to write about.

I am reading "A Praying Life" by Paul Miller, and he sheds some helpful insight on sins of the self-will (including anger):

“... when I ACCEPT the place that God has given me- in traffic, a checkout line,
or with a whining child- I open a small door from my soul to God.” He
later goes on to say “The great struggle of my life is not trying to
discern God’s will; it is trying to discern and then disown my own. Once I see
that, then prayer flows. I have to be praying because I’m no longer in charge.
Either I see all of life as a gift, or I demand that life have a certain look to
it.”

So often when I am angry, it is because my own self-will/selfish desire is not met. When I identify this, my required response is to see that I have a self-will, and disown it (involving confession and repentance). I have to accept that life does not have that certain look that I demand of it. Then grace flows.

1 comment:

  1. I can't figure out this freaky word-processing system! Sorry my quote is so disjointed... it looked fine when I typed it up. No time to figure out how to fix it though...

    ReplyDelete