Monday, May 21, 2012

The Coolest Road in America - Yikes!!!




Highway 12 across the wild and mountainous reaches of south-central Utah was not completed until 1985. As we passed through the Escalante Canyon portion of this road, I think I figured out what engineering puzzle had prevented it's earlier completion. Unfortunately, due to my combination of excitement and terror as I watched Skye (to ensure he was driving directly in the center of the road), my photo taking abilities failed me and I did not depress the click button enough to actually get pictures of the scariest (and coolest) part. The pictures I post won't do it justice, I'm afraid.

The stretch of road I describe is called the Hog's Back, and it is a single road with no guard rails, and sheer drop offs over slick rock cliffs, on BOTH SIDES- at the SAME TIME. Crazy! Remember, our group is traveling in three rigs. Ours is an F-250 pulling our 28 foot trailer, Grandma and Grandpa drive a Dodge with a big fifth-wheel, and Chris and Jennifer's family drives a full-on bus pulling a Jeep. Good thing we are all good drivers!

No comments:

Post a Comment